Sunday, July 1, 2007

Childhood Obesity - Tell Them Where It's At - Even if We Hurt Them

I am so saddened to see that "a committee of medical experts" are agreeing that we need to compound the self-loathing & humiliation that kids & teens who are fat already have by not "soft pedaling" that they are really really fat and just tell them like it is. That they need to lose weight. Read here:

Doctors urged to quit softpedaling obesity


I wonder if they really think these kids/teens are so stupid to not already know that they need to lose weight; maybe it's the comments they get from other kids or even their own parents trying to put them on another diet. Now they want DOCTORS to tell them that they're fat, just in case they didn't already know.

I get so tired of hearing "just eat less and move more", like it's really going to help some of these kids. When will they start testing kids further and finding out what's really going on with a child/teen?

I know that me pushing the doctors to test my daughter for Insulin Resistance/PCOS was the turning point in her weight loss and overall improved health. Guess what, she didn't eat loads of garbage food and lay around all day. She had some super high insulin problems that made it nearly impossible for her to lose weight and even caused WEIGHT GAIN (sounds familiar to ME). Once that MEDICAL ISSUE was addressed, she continued to eat til satisfied, lowered her carbs (as advised by our physician - because the Insulin Resistance makes you far more sensitive to them) and the weight has been melting off of her. Hmmmm, imagine that?

Then to add insult to injury, they want to put them on a low-fat high carb diet that clearly is not the most effective diet for insulin resistance.

Diabetes Health - Low-Carb is Alive and Well

So what happens if the UK and the US follows and starts taking kids away from their parents for the "neglect" of having an fat kid? Yep, that's definately being considered. Here's an article that talks about what the UK is considering:

Doctors: "Put obese kids in Care"

And the US has a whole other "plan of action" - if the FORCED diet, exercise and life control doesn't work, they will even consider WLS SURGERY on Children. Here are a few links to a few of my favorite blogs explaining what the US would like to "do for our overweight children"

Doctors — forced into becoming lifestyle police

Only the Finest Propaganda will Solve Childhood Obesity

This is scary, because if my insulin resistant daughter were forced to go on a low-fat diet, she'd most likely GAIN weight. Yep, I said it, and I KNOW it's true. Plus she knows way too much now and would be dangerous to argue without about what she should and should not be eating! LOL

1 comment:

Danyele said...

I wish I had had all of that information when I was 16 and was diagnosed with PCOS. I didn't start being my own health advocate until I was into my late 20s and of course, already clinically obese. I hope fewer young girls have to go through what we have.

Celebrating My Birthday at Walt Disney World