Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Low Carb Sausage Gravy with Carbsquik Biscuits














I wanted everyone to get a REAL view of what the Carbquik biscuits REALLY look like and not a doctored "food stylists" version. They don't puff up much and I followed a recipe and they recommended a certain amount of time and it was TOO long. They could have been LESS done for my taste. Also next time (and I will update at the bottom of this blog when I do it) I will use Baking POWDER rather than the baking soda that was recommended.


Overall I couldn't believe I was eating a REAL biscuit. I was in heaven. Seriously, I haven't had a biscuit in a LONGGGGGGG time. Mainly because my band does not tolerate it well, but this was dinner, so my band was looser, and honestly I should have eaten ONE less egg and biscuit and I would have had plenty to eat. Whoops - oh well, kind of a high calorie day. I did have some Jok n' Al Blueberry Jelly - I'll be giving a review of that soon! :o)



LC Sausage Gravy



1 pound Sausage - Jimmy Dean
2 cups 2% Calorie Countdown Milk
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons carbalose Flour




Crumble sausage and cook in large skillet over a medium heat, until browned. Mix in the flour until completely dissolved. Slowly, stir in milk then cook the gravy until it thickens and starts to bubble. Add some season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top biscuits with the hot gravy and serve. Place the leftovers in the refrigerator.



My husband who is a HUGE HUGE HUGE biscuit and gravy fan found this quite appetizing. OK, he liked it. He really did, I promise and I LOVED it!!! OMG, to eat a biscuit with jelly. I was in HEAVEN!!! Oh and the sausage gravy was delicious too!



1/2 cup serving:
Calories: 257
Fat: 23
Sat. Fat: 8
Carbs: 3
Fiber: 1
Protein: 10




CARBQUIK BISCUITS

2 cups carbquik - LC Baking Mix
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda



Preheat oven to 350. Place dry mix in mixer bowl. On low speed, slowly add liquid until dough forms. Do not overwork the dough (mine was rather crumbly so I squeezed it a bit).



Place on counter covered with light layer of Carbquik. Roll into a 1/2" thick sheet. But with 1/2" circles ( a glass worked fine for me). Place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush with butter.



Bake for 15 minutes and check or until golden (watch them, they'll be golden inside and out if you cook too long). Brush with butter when done.



Yields 9 biscuits - 1 biscuit was:

Calories: 152
Fat: 11
Sat. Fat: 5
Carbs: 18
Fiber: 14 (wow what a fiber PUNCH)
Protein: 7

No comments:

Celebrating My Birthday at Walt Disney World