Saturday, July 7, 2007

Hummus


I've been looking for a store bought hummus that's tasty but would you believe that most major brand have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them!! Aggg - that means, I'll have to make my own. I figure it would be hard to find Tahini (sort of like Sesame butter) in my small town but was pleasantly surprised to see my local small town grocery has a nice health food section and there it sat on the shelf! So here's my version of Hummus. I LOVED it and I made my friends at the local Starbucks - of whom most had never HEARD of hummus try it and they LIKED it!! I also gave them a piece of my "homemade" LC tortilla made into a "chip" (Mission Carb Balance Tortilla - toasted in the oven with garlic powder on it).


1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1/4 cup water
14 ounces chickpeas, canned
1/2 cup tahini
1 teaspoon salt


PLACE all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally.


Makes 2 Cups
2 tabl = 1 serving

Calories: 75
Fat: 4
S. Fat: 1
Carbs: 8
Fiber: 2
Protein: 3

1 comment:

Mr F. said...

A long time ago in a slimmer world, I used to go to a health food store and bought tahini bars that were frozen. I thawed them out and they were great because they were so filling. I may have to experiment and see what I can come up with.

Mr. F

Celebrating My Birthday at Walt Disney World