Monday, June 11, 2007

Butter Baked Chicken





Anyone love Cracker Barrel's Butter Baked Chicken? It's available on Tuesday nights. OMG, it's wonderful. So I was on a quest to make a lower-carb version of it for my family. Here is what I came up with. Let me know if you try it and how you liked it:

Butter Baked Chicken


4 3/4 pounds Whole Chicken - Cut Up Fryer TYSON
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup coconut flour - Bobs Red Mill
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup butter
10 1/2 ounces cream of chicken soup, condensed
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup water


1. Melt butter in a 13x9" pan by putting the butter in the pan and putting it in the oven (I had to use a 13x9 and an 8x8 to get my super big bird cooked). Dip chicken in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk. Roll in mixture of flours and spices and place in pan(s) skin side down. Bake in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes.

2. After 30 mintues, take out the chicken and turn over. Mix up the 3/4 cup of evaporated milk and the soup and the water. Pour AROUND the chicken - not covering it. Cook another 30 minutes or until the chicken registers done on a thermometer.

For a 4oz serving and 2 tabl of gravy:

Calories: 313
Fat: 22
S. Fat: 8
Carbs: 6
Fiber: 1
Protein: 23

Now these nutritional totals are from what you REALLY use (you don't use all the flour or milk).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds delicious! Thanks so much for the link - I need chicken recipes so bad. I can't wait to try this one out.

Anonymous said...

Yvonne, I have gotta try this butter chicken recipe....sounds so darn good! Do you think it would work with just breasts? I only eat breasts and legs and my SSO only eats the breast. What do you think? Corliss

Anonymous said...

Yvonne, I should be studying but I had to tell you I made that butter baked chicken today and there is NO WAY that Cracker Barrel's original could be this good. I have never had it, but this is phenomenal. I baked a dish of drumsticks and a dish of boneless chicken breast. I liked the drums the best, but the boneles breast turned out wonderful, moist and rich tasting. Next time I do them I am going to try adding some red pepper and crunch peanut butter with a little onion and garlic, maybe some cumin to the sauce to give it a "tropical taste" to complement the coconut flavor. But wow those drums will stay just the way they are. I loved the textures in both. They turned out two very different dishes though I cooked them the exact same way as your recipe. My timing was probably off, I had to guess as my old gas stove's pilot light decided to go out on me. So I am not sure how long they cooked, just till they got done, lol! I of course didn't cook the strips as long as the drum. UUUUUMMMMM GOOOOD!

Thanks again for sharing your fantastic recipe.

Anonymous said...

yummy so rich and smooth.

I made it for my parents anniversary dinner, only i used chicken teders you have to reduce the cooking time a little but it is okay

Anonymous said...

I did a variation of this by coating thechicken pieces ( thighs) in flour and seasonings, then put in a iron skillet with a stick od butter and poured the evapoated milk over all with a little water as it cooked. mmmmmm good and so easy

Celebrating My Birthday at Walt Disney World