Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ham and Cabbage Soup




This was something I made last night that is not only low in calories, but low in carbs AND pretty low in fat (for those who might need to know that). It turned out DELICIOUS and hubby REALLY liked it. It was easy and you can eat a hearty portion of it without fear of ruining "your day".


3 pork shanks (try to get shanks instead of hocks as these have more meat)
10 cups water
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 dashes hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced carrot
22 ounces cabbage, chopped
11 ounces lean ham


1. Put all ingredients except cabbage and lean ham into a 6 qt pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2 hrs. Remove shanks, let cool, and retrieve meat from them, and then put the meat back into the pot. Add the lean ham and the cabbage at this time.

2. Simmer until the cabbage is soft, about 20-30 minutes.

Makes 12 - 1 cup Servings:

Calories: 100
Fat: 4
Sat. Fat: 1
Carb: 5
Fiber: 2
Protein: 10

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW that sounds tasty!!! Can't wait to try this recipe. Your Thai recipe is calling my name, too!

Unknown said...

Hi Band-It, great entry.

By the way, you've been tagged!

(If you were before just disregard).

The details are at my blog.

Cheers! Carol at Kudos For Low Carb
http://kudosforlowcarb.blogspot.com/

Morgan MacLeoid said...

Hello Band-it!

Bah! I see Carol has already tagged you.. well so have I, and I've added your blog to my blogroll.

have a great day! :)

Unknown said...

You always have some terrific recipes to share--keep it up--I'm collecting them all

also wanted you to know---you've been TAGGED for a little blogging fun---check out my post

Back Across The Line: I've Been Tagged!!!

but I see carol has tagged you too!!---so you twice tagged then

Jimmy Moore said...

I tagged you today in a game of Blog-Tag! You are a VERY popular person to tag, Band-It! :D

Celebrating My Birthday at Walt Disney World